In Memoriam: Peter D. Swords 1935-2023
Our long standing Board member and Treasurer, Peter Swords, passed away recently. We extend our condolences to his wife Brenda and to his family on their loss. He will be greatly missed by all his colleagues on the Board of Directors and by his many Mountain Top friends.
See a full list of our 2023 events and programs with details.
Read the current issue of our quarterly publication
News & Notable Links:
- Dr. Gary Lelonek's talk "The Jewish History of Tannersville," Diane Galusha's Zoom presentation "Enslaved: People as Property in Delaware County, 1790 – 1830" and the "Three Extraordinary Ordinary Women" program is viewable on our Youtube page.
- Read about the MTHS's Oral History Project and listen to interviews.
- Town of Hunter historian and MTHS board member Dede Terns-Thorpe has published a new book titled Tidbits of the Town of Hunter. You can purchase the book on Amazon and at the MTHS Visitors' Center.
- The Hotel Kaaterskill 1883 Fire Safety Survey and floor plan.One of several letters from Civil War soldier William Young. Donated by Odile Dwyer.
View a collection of glass plate negatives, the gift of Shirley and Gerald Dunn, here.
- A favorite part of our collection to many local residents is the collection donated by Wilma Kohler. It includes one of our favorite photographs of photographer John Rusk and a signature quilt from 1846.
Mountain Top Historical Society
5132 Rt.23A / PO Box 263 Haines Falls, NY 12436
The Visitors' Center is OPEN for the season when volunteers are available.
Our campus, including access to the Kaaterskill Rail Trail, is open year-round to the public.
Keep the Catskills Beautiful: Please CARRY OUT what you CARRY IN
Sign up to receive our e-newsletter here.