The Mountain Top Historical Society is dedicated to discovering, preserving, interpreting and sharing the unique and rich history of the Mountain Top region in Greene County, NY. The Society is a not-for-profit organization founded in 1974 and engages in activities and programs that enrich understanding and foster appreciation of the Catskill High peaks area. We encourage the study and preservation of the Mountain Top’s art, literature, history, culture, folklore, legends in a variety of ways:
- Annual Open House – Free event featuring entertainment, lectures and exhibits held on the fourth Saturday in August on the MTHS campus.
- Archival Collections – We collect and preserve documents and photographs related to Mountain Top history to keep them in the public trust and available for research.
- Educational Programs – We maintain an on-going collaboration with our local schools to help students understand the history of the area.
- The Hemlock – Our quarterly publication includes historical sketches, updates on our activities and other areas of interest to our members.
- Popular Hiking Series – May-October MTHS’ seasoned hike leaders explore the region, enriching the hiking experience with local folklore and history.
- Public History Information - We field many queries related to local history from residents and visitors.
- Scholarly Resource – Materials and information have been supplied to writers and researchers from the National Geographic, The New York Times, the Smithsonian and other publications.
- Summer Lectures – Monthly programs feature experts on interesting topics such as the grand hotels, railroads, Native American history and indigenous plant and animal life.
- Workshops – Conducted by scholars and professionals in genealogy, the humanities and other areas of interest
- Visitors' Center – Provides information on hiking trails, maps, history books, and history exhibits
- Ulster & Delaware Train Depot – Maintenance of a historic train depot from the Ulster and Delaware Railroad. This depot serves as a space for exhibitions and events.
We are located at 5132 Route 23A in Haines Falls
Reach us by phone at 518-589-6657
To contact us by mail:
The Mountain Top Historical Society
P. O. Box 263
Haines Falls, NY 12436
Alexandra Prince, Director of Operations
MTHS Officers and Directors
President: Adrienne Larys
Vice President: Gary Slutzky
Corporate Secretary: Dede Terns-Thorpe
Treasurer: Peter Swords
Membership Secretary: Joanne Ainsworth
Terms expiring in 2022: Bob Gildersleeve, Adrienne Larys, Gary Slutzky, George VanDyke
Terms expiring in 2023: Joanne Ainsworth, Cyndi LaPierre, Regina Johnson, Johanna Titus, Shane Valcich
Terms expiring in 2024: Lynn Carlson, John Curran, Debbie Fromer, Katie Lenseth, Peter Swords, Dede Terns-Thorpe