The Mountain Top Historical Society is dedicated to discovering , preserving, interpreting and sharing the unique and rich history of the Mountain Top region in Greene County, NY. The Society is a not-for-profit organization founded in 1974 and engages in activities and programs that enrich understanding and foster appreciation of the Catskill High peaks. We encourage the study and preservation of the Mountain Top’s art, literature, history, culture, folklore, legends in a variety of ways.
- Annual Open House – Free event featuring entertainment, lectures and exhibits held on the fourth Saturday in August on the MTHS campus.
- Educational Programs – We maintain an on-going collaboration with our local schools to help students understand the history of the area.
- The Hemlock – Our quarterly publication includes historical sketches, updates on our activities and other areas of interest to our members.
- The Popular Hiking Series – May-October MTHS’ seasoned hike leaders explore the region, enriching the hiking experience with local folklore and history.
- Scholarly Resource – Materials and information have been supplied to writers and researchers from the National Geographic, The New York Times, the Smithsonian and other publications.
- Summer Lectures – Monthly programs feature experts on interesting topics such as the grand hotels, railroads, native Americans and indigenous plant and animal life.
- Workshops – Conducted by scholars and professionals in genealogy, the humanities and other areas of interest.
MTHS Officers and Directors
President: Cyndi LaPierre
Vice President: Adrienne Larys
Secretary: Nancy Allen
Treasurer: Peter Swords
Justine Hommel (emerita)
Terms expiring in 2017: Joanne Ainsworth, Richard Haines, Doug Humm, Cyndi LaPierre, Johanna Titus
Terms expiring in 2018: John Curran, Debbie Fromer, Mara Lehmann, Peter Swords, Wade Speir, Art Fries,
Terms expiring in 2019: Nancy Allen, Bret Byrne, Bob Gildersleeve, Adrienne Larys, Randy Hoose, Gary Slutzky